Subject: FW: ISIL Threat to Conus and Military Personnel (UNCLASSIFIED)
Special threat assessment of ISIS threats to U.S. Military personnel using Home Grown Violent Extremists (HVE) and lone offenders. Please ensure widest dissemination. Thanks.
Gentlemen, attached is the latest ARTIC Special Assessment.
BLUF: ISIL is utilizing social media to call for Home Grown Violent Extremists (HVE) and lone offenders to commit attacks against the US and military personnel. There are no known operational threats at this time but HVEs and lone offenders may attack on short notice or by targets of opportunity across the United States.
ARTIC: recommends the following steps for self protection of our self and families.
(U) Social Media Precautions
(U) Think before you post. Always assume everyone in the world will be able to see what you are posting, or tweeting, even if the site limits your posts to your friends and family.
- (U) Limit who can view your social media sites; but do not trust these settings as absolute
- (U) Avoid posting your home or work address and phone numbers; and any government or military affiliation
- (U) Avoid providing detailed accounts of your day (e.g., when you leave for or return from work)
- (U) Never allow applications to geolocate your location
(U) Physical/Home Security Precautions
(U) While most of these measures are primarily geared toward home burglaries, when implemented these same measures can help prevent an individual from conducting an attack while you or your family members are home.
- (U) Always lock doors, windows and garages
- (U) Make sure home entrances are well-lighted, and minimize bushes where intruders can hide before their ambush
- (U) Use the peephole before opening the door to anyone
- (U) Don’t use the chain latch to open the door part-way
- (U) Don’t open the door to solicitors or strangers
- (U) Install solid-core doors, heavy-duty locks and window security systems
- (U) Establish a safehaven
- (U) Hold a family meeting to work out home security plans